This super easy stir fry sauce has no soy sauce and mixes up in 5 quick minutes. The recipe has only 3 ingredients and is perfect with veggies, chicken, fish, tofu or beef for an easy weeknight meal.
Be sure to check out more of my easy sauce recipes including my lime ginger cashew sauce and my no soy DIY sesame teriyaki sauce.
3 Ingredient Sauce
How is it possible to make a flavorful well balanced sauce with only three ingredients?? Use ingredients that have tons of flavor but balance each other.
The base of this sauce is coconut aminos. It’s a milder soy-free, gluten-free alternative to soy sauce. It’s also fermented like soy sauce and gives you that tangy flavor. You’ll find it in your grocery store with the Asian ingredients. Coconut Secret is my favorite brand but you can also find coconut aminos at Trader Joe’s.
I prefer coconut aminos because they’re gluten-free and soy-free but also because they’re slightly sweet and way milder on flavor. I find soy sauce to be so incredibly salty – even the low sodium versions.
Toasted sesame oil or roasted peanut oil – Be sure you find an oil that is toasted/roasted. The non-toasted versions have almost no flavor at all. When you open the bottle of toasted oil you’ll understand what I mean. The aroma is intoxicating. The sesame or peanut oil helps to balance the coconut aminos by bringing a little more sweetness and texture to the sauce. Both of these are usually found in the Asian section of grocery stores.
Finally cornstarch will thicken the sauce so that it perfectly coats whatever you are stir frying.
How to Use the Sauce
The stir fry sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to use it. It will stay fresh for at least 10 days. Simply stir fry your favorite veggies or protein and add the sauce for the last minute and a half of cooking.
Here are some suggestions for what to put in your stir fry:
- broccoli, sugar snap peas and green beans
- green beans, mushrooms, water chestnuts
- chicken, mushrooms, green onion and broccoli
- shrimp, peas, mushrooms and red onion
- extra firm tofu, green onion, thinly sliced carrot and bamboo shoots,
Of course this is a three ingredient sauce but I couldn’t resist giving you a couple of easy additions to put a spin on the recipe.
The coconut aminos and oils both add a little bit of sweetness. But if you want to balance some of the saltiness and add even more sweetness to the recipe, add two teaspoons of brown sugar, coconut palm sugar or agave.
Hot sauce or red chili flakes will add a nice kick if you like some spicy heat in your stir fry. Start by adding either 1/8 tsp of red chili flakes or a teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce. Taste and add more if you want it spicier.
5 Minute Stir Fry Sauce – 3 Ingredients
- ½ c coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame or roasted peanut oil
- 1 tsp non-gmo corn starch
- Use a whisk or fork to mix the coconut aminos and corn starch. Mix it in your measuring cup to save washing a bowl.
- Pour the liquid into a small pot and heat on medium for 1 minute.
- Stir in the oil and stir until the sauce bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Add the sauce to your stir-fry when the stir fry items are almost fully cooked. Use 2-3 tablespoons per cup of veggies/proteins.
- This sauce will remain fresh (refrigerated) for at least 10 days.
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe