I try to use every inch of the food in my refrigerator. This broccoli slaw is a great way to use those stalks that often end up in the trash. This side salad recipe combines Persian cucumbers, red bell pepper and shredded broccoli with flavorful pesto and comes together in just 15 minutes.
When I have fresh broccoli I always save the stalks. I have several ways to use them, but my favorite is this broccoli slaw recipe. The stalks can sit in the fridge for about week, so don’t feel that you have to use them right away. The food processor makes easy work of shredding. Or if you don’t have one, you can get a good workout using a box grater.
Short on time or don’t have broccoli stalks? Bags of ready made broccoli slaw are available at most markets and won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
This broccoli slaw recipe is a great way to use veggies that you have in the fridge. I include cucumber and bell pepper in the recipe but you can add cabbage, celery, carrot, green apple . . . whatever you have. Adding a sweet element like apples or even shredded butternut squash is nice way to create flavor balance to the bitterness of broccoli.
Broccoli Slaw Variations
This recipe uses pesto as the starring flavor. But There are so many possibilities to change the flavors to match almost any meal.
To give it an Asian spin omit the pesto and mustard and add 2 tsps toasted sesame oil, 1 tsp coconut aminos, 2 tsps grated fresh ginger and one clove of garlic (grate on a microplane or the finest side of your grater).
Make a curry slaw- Omit the pesto and 1½ tsps curry powder, raisins and a pinch or 2 of cayenne pepper.
Easy 15-Minute Broccoli Slaw
- 8 broccoli stalks or 3 cups broccoli slaw
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 persian cucumber or 1/2 regular cucumber
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 3 Tbsps prepared pesto I use American Basil Dairy-Free
- 2 Tbsps mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar agave syrup substitute
- 2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, whisk the pesto, mayo, mustard, agave, vinegar, salt and pepper together. Set aside.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave off the outer layer of the broccoli stalks.
- Shred the stalks using a food processor or box grater. Slice the pepper and cucumber in to thin strips.
- Add the shredded broccoli, cucumber, pepper and almonds to the dressing and stir thoroughly.
- Taste. You may want to add more pesto or salt. Add a little at a time and taste until you like it.
- Variations: Add sliced green apple, red cabbage or any salad veggie you have!