This gluten-free breakfast sandwich with bacon, apple, cheddar and raspberry jam is perfectly sweet, salty, tart and tangy. It is a great grab and go breakfast when you don’t have time for a sit-down meal. Make it a dairy-free breakfast with vegan cheese.
Be sure to check out more of my gluten-free breakfast recipes including my breakfast sandwich with feta and pesto, savory gluten-free breakfast muffins with mix ins, and my gluten-free flaky rolled biscuits.
Gluten-Free Bread for Sandwiches
If you’ve be gluten-free for very long you’ve probably realized that most store-bought gluten-free breads have small slices. Small slices work well in some cases, but I like a substantial sized slice. My favorite gluten-free bread for sandwiches is Canyon Bakehouse Heritage Style Breads. The bread holds up very well (no crumbling, like so many gf breads) and is tasty. Other than making my own bread, this is the only one I use for sandwiches. All the other gluten-free breads that have acceptable taste and texture make for smaller sandwiches. Use Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White for a kid friendly size or a quick pick me up size.
Cheddar cheese – A super sharp cheddar cheese makes for a wonderful balance to the other sweet and salty ingredients in this sandwich. Buy it sliced (easier), shredded or in a block and cover every inch of the bread with it for a melty, gooey sandwich. Vegan cheddar will make this a dairy-free sandwich. Violife Like Mature Cheddar Flavor Slices are a great substitute.
Bacon – I highly recommend using a nitrite-free uncured bacon. Whether you like a smoky or sweet bacon, it will add a salty, rich punch to this breakfast sandwich.
These easiest way to cook bacon, is to bake it on a parchment lined baking sheet – no flipping, no baby sitting required. This will allow you to prepare the other ingredients while it cooks.
Green apple – Apples and cheese are a classic pairing, The sweet tart apple with salty, tangy cheese is an amazing flavor combo. A granny smith apple will hold up nicely and adds a crisp, fresh element.
Jam – I love a sweet breakfast and a slathering of raspberry jam on this sandwich is the perfect condiment to achieve it. The sweet jam is a great balance to the saltiness of the bacon and cheese.
I am believer in “cook once, eat twice” or even three times. Make several of these sandwiches ahead of time and freeze. Here’s how to do it:
- Lightly toast the bread, top with the cheese, apple and cooked bacon and leave off the jam. No need to heat at this point.
- Wrap it snugly in plastic, then tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze.
- Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat in the toaster oven or oven for 5 minutes at 350° or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Spread the jam on the top slice of bread and enjoy!
Cheddar, Bacon and Jam Gluten-Free Breakfast Sandwich
- 8 strips bacon
- 1 granny smith apple
- 8 slices gluten-free bread Canyon Bakehouse Heritage recommended
- 4-6 slices sharp cheddar cheese (depending on the size of your bread) vegan cheese can be used too, Violife has excellent options
- ¼ c organic raspberry jam
- See above for make-ahead and freezing instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Lay the bacon strips on the baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and cook 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the bread slices in the oven directly on the oven rack. Bake 5 minutes per side.
- Place the bacon on a paper towel lined plate to drain the fat.
- Cut the apple into 4 wedges and remove the seeds. Slice thinly.
- Remove the bread from the oven when toasted.
- Place four of the slices of bread on a baking sheet, Lay several slices of apple on the bread and top with cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, spread a layer of jam onto the other 4 slices of bread.
- When the cheese is melted, remove from the oven, top with bacon and the jam covered bread. Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe