Chocolate ganache has got to be the easiest way to make a dessert look beautiful. It creates a perfectly smooth coating with so little effort. The simple, dairy-free, vegan version of ganache has just 2 ingredients. It can be made with one bowl and with one tool using the microwave. This is my favorite kind of recipe – super easy clean-up so I can get to the part when I can eat my gorgeous dessert.
Free-From Dessert Topping
This easy chocolate ganache recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free and egg-free. The recipe is easily made dairy-free with a simple substitution. It makes for a perfect vegan dessert topping.
Which Chocolate to use for Ganache
Just about any form of sweetened solid chocolate will work for ganache. My preference is 60% bittersweet chocolate is best for creating a nice drip effect down the side of a cake. Most semi-sweet chocolate chips are 60%. For a low-sugar chocolate ganache, use Ghirardelli 92% Bittersweet chocolate or Lakanto Chocolate Chips, sweetened with monkfruit.
Chocolate chips are easiest because they don’t require any chopping. Bars and baking chocolate will need to be chopped into chip-sized pieces for easier melting. If you need an allergy-free chocolate, Enjoy Life chocolate chips and chunks are excellent, The have dark and semi-sweet and they are my go-to for baking chocolate.
Extra Glossy Chocolate Ganache
When the ganache is first poured, it creates a gorgeous glossy coating. But as it sets, that glossy finish starts to dull. If you want the gloss to remain, corn syrup will help. I am not a huge fan of using corn syrup in my cooking and baking, but for an extra beautiful presentation, on occasion, I am willing to make an exception.
So, add 2 Tbsps corn syrup to the recipe for glossy ganache. In order to balance the super sweet syrup, I add a couple of pinches of salt. It is also a good idea to use bittersweet chocolate instead of semi-sweet, if you have it, .
All of these flavors can go in the bowl to be heated with the chocolate and milk/cream.
- For a sweet and salty chocolate topping add 1/4 tsp salt.
- Mint is perfect in combination with chocolate. Add 1 tsp peppermint oil.
- My favorite chocolate partner is orange. The citrusy tang adds such a great balance to chocolate. Add 1 tsp orange extract or oil.
- Add 1 tsp instant coffee granules. This will enhance the bitterness of the chocolate and add a slight mocha flavor.
Some of my recipes that are screaming for a coating of glossy chocolate ganache are, Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake, Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes, Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Vanilla Cupcakes and my Gluten-Free Coconut Cake. Or, turn this gluten-free banana bread or pumpkin bread into a perfect dessert.
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips or 6 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate 60% chocolate works best for ganache
- 1/2 c coconut milk canned
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peppermint oil
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- If using bars, chop the chocolate into chip-sized pieces.
- Place the chocolate, milk or cream, and any additional flavors* in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat on high for 30 seconds. Stir.
- Heat an additional 30 seconds on high. Stir with a wire whisk for one minute or until smooth. If some chunks remain, heat another 15 seconds to melt.
- Set aside to cool for 20 minutes.
- Pour over a cake. Do not spread it as it will self-level and create a smooth coating.
- Or dip cupcukes. Dip 2-3 times for a thicker coating.
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe