These chocolate strawberry tartlets have a creamy, vegan dark chocolate filling. They are a perfect one-bite treat which can be made gluten-free. A quick baking graham cracker crumb crust makes this an easy recipe.
If you can find ready made graham cracker crumbs, this recipe will be quicker. A good gluten-free and vegan option is Kinnikinnick Graham Style Cracker Crumbs. Pamela’s are also gluten-free but contain honey. If you can’t find graham cracker crumbs, take your favorite graham crackers and grind to fine crumbs using a food processor. Or place them in a zip top bag and crush with a rolling pin or mallet.
The graham cracker crumbs are mixed with a little liquid sweetener (maple syrup or agave) and vegan butter. You’ll press the mixture into a mini muffin tin and bake for 5 minutes. That’s it!
I give you 2 options for the filling. Both are quick, easy and vegan and have just a few ingredients.
OPTION #1-Chocolate avocado cream filling. This filling is dairy-free and has no cane sugar. It uses a base of fresh, ripe avocado with:
- Cocoa powder gives the avocado cream option a super dark chocolate flavor and means no messy melting of chocolate.
- Sweetener – Any sweetener will work in the chocolate cream. I prefer to use agave or maple syrup but coconut sugar, white sugar or even a keto sweetener will work too, Once the cream is blended, be sure to taste. If you prefer it sweeter, add a couple of teaspoons, or more, of sweetener to make it to your liking.
- Vegan butter brings the chocolate avocado cream to just the right flavor and texture. It also gives it a gorgeous glossy finish. My go to brand is Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks. I prefer their unsalted version if you can find it. If you don’t avoid butter, feel free to sub that in.
OPTION #2-Two ingredient chocolate ganache filling. This filling is simply melted chocolate with some dairy-free milk or cream. It will firm up as it cools, more so than the avocado cream. Nut Pods are a great vegan cream sub with no sugar or sweetener. Use your favorite bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. For a great allergy-free, dairy-free option, I prefer Enjoy Life Chocolate Morsels.
Fresh Strawberries – Fresh strawberries make this a beautiful dessert. Chop them into chucks or slice and arrange on top. If making these tartlets ahead of time, wait until just before serving to add the strawberries.
These tartlets are a showstopper with a drizzle of white chocolate. Simple melt 1/3 c white chocolate and drizzle on top. Or for a double dose of chocolate, drizzle with melted dark or bittersweet chocolate.
More Gluten-Free Appetizer and Snack Recipes
For sweet and savory small bites try my Brie and Date Tartlets, Feta and Apricot Tartlets or Ricotta Kale Tartlets. Make a mini version of my Butternut Squash Pancakes for a tasty dairy free snack. These Gluten-Free Baked Corn Dog Bites are a perfect kid-friendly, game-time snack.
Do you love berries and chocolate? Check out my raspberry chocolate bars with a buttery shortbread crust.
Chocolate Strawberry Tartlets
- 2 c graham cracker crumbs or about 14 crackers
- 2 Tbs maple syrup or agave
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter or unsalted butter melted
Chocolate Avoacado Filling
- 1/4 c ripe avocado room temp is best
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3-4 Tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1/2 Tbsp vegan butter melted
Chocolate Ganache Filling
- 2/3 c chocolate chips or 4 oz. solid chocolate
- 1/4 c non-dairy milk or cream Nut Pods Creamers work well
- 10-12 fresh strawberries
- Make the tartlet shellsPreheat the oven to 350°F Grease your mini muffin tin(s) unless yours is non-stick.
- If using whole graham crackers: Grind the crackers to fine crumbs in the food processor or place the crackers in a zip top bag and crush with a rolling pin or mallet. Chunks of cracker will make the shell too delicate, so be sure to grind it to crumbs.
- Place the crumbs in a small mixing bowl and stir in the melted butter and sweetener. If the mixture is too dry, add another tsp of liquid sweetener or water.
- Place one packed tablespoon of the mixture into a well of the muffin tin. Gently press into the bottom and work it up the sides. Repeat to fill all the wells.
- Bake 5 minutes. If the shell has puffed up, use a small spoon to press it flat before it cools.
- Leave the shells in the tin to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Make the filling (2 options)Chocolate Avocado Cream
- TO MIX WITH A BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR: Place all of the filling ingredients into a food processor or blender. Run on high for 15 seconds, Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and run again. Repeat until the mixture is smooth.
- TO MIX WITH AN IMMERSION BLENDER: Place the cocoa powder, maple syrup or agave and melted vegan butter into a small mixing bowl. Blend until smooth.
- Chocolate Ganache Filling
- Place the chocolate and milk/cream in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat on high for 30 seconds. Stir for 30 seconds.
- If there are any large chunks of chocolate remaining, heat for 15 seconds more. Otherwise, stir until the residual heat melts the chocolate and the mixture is smooth.
- Assemble the TartletsNOTE: If making this ahead of time, wait to assemble them until the day of. Store the shells at room temperature. The shell will keep it slightly crunchy texture better.
- Slice the strawberries to a size that will fit the tartlet.
- When cooled, gently remove the tartlet shells from the pan. A toothpick or mini spatula to loosen from the pan will do the job without breaking it.
- Pipe or spoon about 1 Tsp filling into the shell. Top with strawberries.
- Avocado filling should be refrigerated.