This is not your typical cream of broccoli soup. The veggies are cooked until they are just softened so it really feels like eating fresh vegetables. Make this, dairy-free chunky broccoli soup in less than 30 minutes from start to finish and top with a fun pesto chip garnish (recipe below).
More Gluten & Dairy-Free Soup Recipes
Broccoli Soup Ingredients
Broth – If you are vegetarian or vegan I highly recommend using Imagine No-Chicken Broth (the low-sodium one). It has the best flavor of any of the vegan broths I have tried and provides a great base for soups. If you eat chicken, I recommend using a low-sodium chicken broth. Imagine Food’s Chicken broth is very good also.
Onions – Here’s my tutorial blog post How to Cut an Onion (with minimal tears). If you have digestive issues with onions (like me) you can leave them out. A small amount of onion powder is a good substitute if you are able to tolerate it.
Salt – I have not given an exact amount of salt because all broths are not created equal. The salt level varies in different brands of broth, so just let your taste buds tell you how much is the right amount.
Pesto Chips Garnish
I used Rudi’s gluten-free tortillas to make a crunchy garnish for this chunky broccoli soup but feel free to use your favorite tortilla. The chips are so simple to make, but they add an elegant touch. Use the chips for any soup or on a salad. You can change the flavor of the chips by brushing them with a little olive oil and adding your favorite herbs or spices.
For the pesto chips you’ll need 2 gluten-free flour tortillas, 3 Tbsp. pesto and salt. Pre-heat the oven to 400° Brush both sides of the tortillas with the pesto. Sprinkle with a little salt (not kosher salt for this) on both sides. Cut the tortillas into 8 triangles. Place on a baking sheet lined with tin foil or parchment. Bake for about 10 minutes or until they are deep golden brown.
Chunky Broccoli Soup
- 1 lb. broccoli florets
- 3 celery stalks
- ½ small onion or ¼ large onion
- 2 tsp. canola or safflower oil
- 1 ¾ c water or low sodium broth*
- kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp vegan yogurt Kite Hill is my favorite
- 2 Tbsp. butter optional
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion and celery and cook over a low-medium flame for about 5 minutes or until they just begin to soften. Add a couple of pinches of kosher salt and a dash of pepper.
- Add the broccoli and cook, stirring often, until the broccoli turns bright green.
- Add a couple more pinches of kosher salt and the water/broth. Stir and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer ½ of the solids and most of the liquid to the blender. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE PLASTIC PIECE from the center of the blender lid. Otherwise the heat will cause a soup explosion!
- Blend until the mixture is a uniform color. Add back to the pot along with the yogurt or sour cream and stir. A couple of tablespoons of butter adds richness and some lovely flavor. Stir it in at this point if you choose. If it is too thick you can add more water or broth.
- Finally, taste for salt. Add a couple of pinches at a time until you like the taste.