This Cool Avocado Soup will cool you down without heating up the kitchen. When the weather is really hot, I usually begin eating a lot of salads. As much as I love salads, sometimes I need to mix it up. The food processor or blender is a great way to “cook ” without heat. So here is a dairy-free creamy soup bursting with flavor and color that is super easy to prepare. The blender will do most of the work, so your chopping and slicing will be minimal. This is my kind of recipe
More Gluten-Free- Dairy-Free Soup Recipes
Avocado Soup Ingredients
Broth – This soup can be made vegan with a veggie broth and coconut cream. Imagine Foods makes the best vegetarian “No Chicken” broth that is great in soup. It is the only vegetarian broth I use. I find that most other vegetable broths taste too much like carrots. Whether or not you’re vegetarian or vegan, this broth is a great base that provides just the right flavors. If you are not vegetarian or vegan and you want to amp up the nutrients, bone broth can be used instead.
Salt – I have not given an exact amount of salt because all broths are not created equal. The salt level varies greatly, so just let your taste buds tell you how much is the right amount. Once the soup is blended, taste and add a pinch or two more at a time if needed.
Cream – I love the the richness that a little butter or sour cream can add to a soup but coconut or cashew cream make for a great vegan option. Stir it in at the end or swirl it into a bowl when serving.
This is a beautiful soup that makes a great presentation with different color garnishes. I usually use whatever I have in the fridge but here are some possibilities:
- minced bell pepper – a mix of red, yellow and orange is gorgeous
- chopped cilantro
- sliced green onion
- minced jicama
- lime wedges
- diced tomato
- tortilla chips or strips
- pumpkin seeds (pepitas are a popular in Latin America)
This cool avocado soup can be made into a meal by adding some shredded chicken, garbanzo, kidney or black beans or even some cold salmon,
If you want to change the flavor profile feel free to add different herbs and spices. Avocado is a perfect neutral base for so many flavors.
- This soup could take on a more Asian flavor buy adding some freshly grated ginger, a half teaspoon of rice vinegar and a drop of sesame oil. Then top it with green onion and cucumber.
- Give it a Mediterranean twist with mint and lemon instead of cilantro and lime.
- Basil and lemon (in place of the cilantro and lime) are also great combo topped with chopped tomato and pine nuts.
Cool Avocado Soup
- 1 ½ c low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium-sized avocados
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- 2 fistfuls of cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onion
- ¼ c lime juice about 2 limes
- 1 large or 2 small cloves of garlic
- ½-¾ tsp salt
- a dash of cayenne
- finely diced red bell pepper
- finely diced jicama
- finely chopped green onion
- Juice the limes, remove the flesh from the avocados, peel and roughly chop the cucumbers and chop the green onions.
- Remove the thicker stems from the cilantro and lightly chop.
- Place ½ tsp of the salt and the remaining soup ingredients in the blender and run on high for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- If it’s too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of water or broth and blend briefly. Taste for salt level and add more if needed.
- Garnish with finely diced tomato, jicama and green onion.