This creamy asparagus soup is dairy-free and vegan and got my “nothing green” husband to eat vegetables. Most of the time the texture of vegetables gets to him (just like most kids). But puree it into a soup and he’s ok with it. Just a little sautéed onion and celery with some herbs and veggie broth and you have a super easy vegan soup.
Here on my blog, there are more gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan soups to warm you up, including my comforting gluten-free chicken noodle soup, and even a cool avocado soup to cool you down.
One pot is all that you will need to cook the soup. Sautee the asparagus with some celery and onion to create the flavor base. Add the broth and simmer to soften the veggies and then puree, That’s it! If you have an immersion blender, puree the soup right in the pot so clean-up will be a breeze. If you don’t have an immersion blender a regular blender or food processor will work too.
Asparagus Soup Ingredients
This soup uses traditional soup aromatics like celery, onion, thyme and bay leaf for that savory herbaceous flavor.
Fresh asparagus is in season in spring and works best for this soup. If you can’t find it fresh, frozen is a good option.
Broth – This soup can be made vegan with a veggie broth and coconut cream. Imagine Foods makes the best vegetarian “No Chicken” broth that is great in soup. It is the only vegetarian broth I use. If you are not vegetarian or vegan and you want to amp up the nutrients, bone broth or chicken can be used instead.
Salt – I have not given an exact amount of salt because all broths are not created equal. The salt level varies greatly, so just let your taste buds tell you how much is the right amount. Start with a few pinches, taste and add a little more at a time if needed.
Cream – I love the the richness that a little or sour cream can add to a soup but coconut or cashew cream make for a great vegan option. Stir it in at the end or swirl it into a bowl when serving. My favorite vegan option is Kite Hill Sour Cream Alternative.
Creamy Asparagus Soup (vegan)
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- ¼ of a medium sized onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetarian broth Imagine No-Chicken Broth is the best
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt* and pepper
- 1 Tbsp coconut cream or butter optional
- Trim the white ends off the asparagus and discard. Cut the stalks into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Dice the onion and cut the celery into thin, 1/8 inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan for a minute or two. Add the asparagus, onion and celery and cook over medium high heat, stirring often, until the veggies are soft.
- Add the broth, bay leaf and thyme and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- If using an immersion blender, leave the soup in the pot and blend until smooth.
- If using a blender: Transfer the soup to the blender. Remove the plastic piece from the lid to allow steam to escape (and to avoid a soup explosion when blending!). Cover the opening with a towel and blend on high for at least 90 seconds or until no chunks remain.
- If it seems too thick, add a little more broth.
- Stir in the butter or coconut cream if using. Add salt, starting with 1/2 tsp and taste. Add a little more and taste until you like the result
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe