This easy gluten-free pie crust has just 3 ingredients and can be made dairy-free too. Twenty minutes or less is all you’ll need for a pie crust that is ready to go!
Cookie crumbs, coconut oil and sugar are all you’ll need. My gluten-free strawberry pie, easy, gluten-free s’more pie quick and easy fig pie are perfect with this pie crust. Be sure to check out my full list of gluten-free pie recipes.
Which Cookies to Use?
Use your favorite gf, df crunchy cookies. I have used gingersnaps, animal crackers, vanilla wafers, chocolate wafers and graham crackers. Mid-Del Gluten-Free Gingersnaps are dairy-free and my favorite for a gluten-free sweet potato-pumpkin pie.
In a pinch, when I was out of cookies, I scoured my pantry and used a combo of Glutino Crackers and Schar Table Crackers. I added a little extra sugar and the result was the most yummy sweet and salty pie crust. I highly recommend it!
How to Make Cookie Crumbs
The best way to make cookie crumbs is to put the cookies in the blender or food processor. Run on high until it is reduced to fine crumbs. If you don’t have either, place the cookies in a zip top bag and seal, releasing all of the air. Cover with a towel and roll over it with a rolling pin.
Why add sugar? Even though the cookies are already sweetened, the recipe does need sugar. It’s the sugar that helps bind the cookie crumbs back together when baked.
I prefer coconut oil for this recipe but a vegan butter substitute will work too. It is difficult to find one that is unsalted (Earth Balance makes one). If you use a salted vegan butter, just expect your crust to taste a little salty. Not necessarily a bad thing!
Easy Gluten-Free Pie Crust (Dairy-Free)
- 7-8 ounces cookies or crackers 2 cups crumbs
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil or unsalted vegan butter
- 3 Tbsp sugar 6 Tbsps for unsweetened crackers
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°
- Grind the cookies (or crackers) to fine crumbs in the food processor or blender. If you don’t have either, put them in a zip top bag. Release all of the air and seal the bag. Place a towel over the bag and roll over it with a rolling-pin.
- Transfer the crumbs to a bowl, stir in the sugar, then add the coconut and stir well. It will not come together completely, that’s ok. If it seems too dry, add 1 more Tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter.
- Pour the mixture into the pie pan. Start at the middle and press the crumbs down level and then up the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes if baking the pie with filling. If not, bake for 12 minutes.
- Cool before adding no-bake fillings.