This 3 ingredient easy strawberry sauce is a great quick way to make a simple dessert or breakfast more interesting. Use the sauce on ice cream, on a gluten-free pancake with banana and peanut butter or on my gluten-free peanut butter pancakes, gluten-free dairy-free banana bread, or my gluten-free dairy-free cinnamon swirl muffins. Dress up a plain, store bought cake, chocolate cream pie or cheese cake. This sauce will take less than ten minutes from start to finish and can transform the look and flavor of almost any dessert.
Strawberries – If you can, start with fresh local strawberries. They are usually the sweetest and most flavorful, If it’s not strawberry season, frozen strawberries are a good option. The “fresh” strawberries flown form the other side of the globe during the off-season can be flavorless. Cooking won’t be necessary with frozen strawberries. They will break down enough when thawed.
Sugar– Depending on the strawberries, you may want to increase the sugar by a teaspoon or 2 to get the sauce to the sweet level you prefer. Just taste when its cooked and add a little bit at a time if needed. Substitute sugar with your favorite sweetener. Agave, honey, coconut palm sugar and maple syrup are all excellent options for this easy strawberry sauce.
Lemon Juice – Lemon is a flavor enhancer and it works so well as a balance to the sweet sugar and strawberries in the sauce.
This easy strawberry sauce is a perfect topping for cheesecake, ice cream sundaes, and gluten-free waffles. Reduce it a little extra and fill your favorite gluten-free cupcakes. Fill gluten-free crepes with banana and strawberry sauce and top with chocolate sauce. Make gluten-free brownies a more elegant dessert by topping with warmed strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
Strawberry Sauce Variations
- Strawberries go well with just about any citrus. So replace the lemon with lime, orange, tangerine or grapefruit.
- Add other berries such as blackberries, blueberries and raspberries.
Easy Strawberry Sauce
- 1 1/2 c sliced strawberries about 12 medium sized strawberries
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp sweetener sugar, agave, honey, maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Place all the ingredients in small pot.
- Heat over a low-medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- While it is still warm, taste. If if it needs more sweet, add it now, a teaspoon at a time until you like it.
- If you like a chunky sauce, leave it as is.
- If you prefer it smooth, puree with an immersion blender, food processor or blender.