This gluten-free banana bread is also dairy-free and one of my favorite recipes. Not only is is moist, light and delicious, but is is so reliable. I am not a trained baker and sometimes I mess things up. But this recipe never fails me.
Check out my gluten-free vegan pumpkin bread or my moist and delicious gluten and dairy free pumpkin bread, moist, fluffy gluten-free lemon blueberry bread, Prefer gluten-free dairy-free banana muffins? Click and enjoy!
I tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour with excellent results. Be sure to check out my collection of King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour recipes. Several other gluten-free flours for baking will work. Cup4Cup (contains milk powder) and Pamela’s All Purpose Artisan Flour Blend are similar to King Arthur’s and will work well. All of these flours are certified gluten-free. If you one of these, or a flour blend that contains xanthan gum, guar gum or inulin (binders), omit the xanthan gum called for in the recipe.
My custom DIY flour blend of is my favorite for this recipe. I prefer to mix up my own blend as a more affordable option. See the notes in the recipe for a super simple DIY gluten-free flour blend or my blog post on gluten-free flours.
Because the banana adds richness and moisture this recipe is dairy-free.
As always with banana bread, be sure that the bananas are very ripe with lots of brown on the skin. The more brown the banana, the more flavor. I use a masher to puree the banana. If you prefer that there are no chunks of banana, use an immersion blender or hand mixer to get it very smooth.
Banana Bread Toppings
This gluten-free banana bread is great on its own but adding some different flavors can’t hurt, right? Here are a few super easy recipes to top this bread and make it a show stopper at a Sunday brunch.
- Peanut Butter Glaze – Salty peanut butter is yummy with banana and cinnamon. Place 1/4 c peanut butter and 3 Tbsps cream in a microwave-safe bowl, heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. If it is melted and smooth, it’s done. Otherwise, microwave for 15-20 seconds more and stir. Drizzle over the cooled loaf.
- Strawberry Sauce – My easy strawberry sauce recipe is a perfect sweet and tangy topping for sweet banana.
- Orange Glaze – Combine 6 Tbsps powdered sugar with 2 1/2 tsp orange juice and the zest of one orange. This one is my favorite!
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Banana Bread
- 1 2/3 c mashed banana about 5 bananas
- 3 large eggs
- ½ c oil
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 c sugar
- 2 c gluten-free flour blend
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 c chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- If including the chocolate chips, generously grease a 9" loaf pan, if not use an 8.5" loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas until they become somewhat liquid. You can puree them with a a beater or immersion blender if you don’t want any small chunks of banana. Check the amount by using a measuring cup.
- Add the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar and mix until the sugar dissolves.
- Whisk the remaining dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips) together in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in 3 additions, stirring it in with each addition. Stir until smooth.
- If using, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes. Then add a foil tent over the loaf and bake another 20-25 minutes or until the top is set.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This is the gluten-free flour blend I prefer for this banana bread:These flours can all be found (certified gluten-free) at Vitacost.com
- 1 c sweet white sorghum flour
- 3/4 c millet flour
- 1/4 c brown rice flour
- 2/3 c potato starch
- 1/3 c tapioca starch
This is an easy DIY gluten-free flour blend:
- 2 c brown rice flour
- 2/3 c potato starch
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch