These gluten-free banana muffins are moist and yummy and topped with a sweet cinnamon crumb. Add a simple glaze and you have a perfectly pretty muffin. As is, the muffins without the cinnamon crumble (streusel) are dairy-free and I have provided easy substitutions to make these vegan.
I have used several different gluten-free flour blends for these muffins and they all worked well. If you prefer a store bought flour blend, I use King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure for Measure flour. Pamela’s All Purpose Artisan Blend and Cup4 Cup (contains milk powder) are similar and will work too. All three of these flours are certified gluten-free and contain binders, so no need to add xanthan gum. Regardless of which flour you use. omit the xanthan gum in the recipe if you flour already contains it, guar gum or inulin.
My homemade flour blend of sorghum, millet and brown rice flours is my favorite. See the notes in the recipe for a super simple DIY gluten-free flour blend or my blog post on gluten-free flours. Mixing up your own gluten-free flour blend can be a big cost-saver.
Here is my special flour blend that I love for this recipe and many more of my gluten-free recipes:
- 1 c sweet white sorghum flour
- 3/4 c millet flour
- 1/4 c brown rice flour
- 2/3 c potato starch
- 1/3 c tapioca starch
For the best banana muffins, be sure that your bananas are VERY ripe. The more ripe they are the stronger the banana flavor. How do you ripen a banana quickly? A trip to the microwave can get your not quite ripe enough bananas over the hump. Cut a few slits in the peel and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
If you don’t mind chunks of banana in your muffins, just use a masher. For perfectly smooth, no-lump banana, an immersion blender is the best tool,
Vegan Gluten-Free Muffins
To make these gluten-free banana muffins vegan, use an egg replacer or flax eggs. Make a flax egg by combining 1 Tbsp flax meal with 3 Tbsps warm water per egg. Let it sit for 5 minutes and beat in just as you would with the eggs. The cinnamon crumble can be made vegan by using either a vegan butter or coconut oil in place of the butter.
This muffin recipe includes a basic powdered sugar glaze. But you can introduce other flavors with these easy toppings.
- Peanut Butter Glaze – Salty peanut butter is yummy with banana and cinnamon. Place 1/4 c peanut butter and 3 Tbsps cream or dairy-free mik sub in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. If it is melted and smooth, it’s done. Otherwise, microwave for 15 seconds more and stir. Drizzle over the cooled muffins.
- Strawberry Sauce – Strawberries are a perfect sweet and tart combo with banana. Try my three-ingredient easy strawberry sauce.
- Orange Glaze – Combine 3 Tbsps powdered sugar with 1 tsp orange juice and 1/2 tsp orange zest.
Gluten-Free Banana Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas
- 5 Tbsps oil
- 2 eggs OR 1 Tbsps ground flax with 3 Tbsps warm water + 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 1/3 c gluten-free flour blend*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. cinnamon optional
- 3/4 c gluten-free flour blend*
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsps melted butter or coconut oil
- 3 Tbsps powdered sugar
- 1 tsp water
- Make the Glaze
- Mix the powdered sugar with the water. Put in a piping bag or drizzle bottle if you have one.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and prepare muffin tins with paper liners.
- Make the cinnamon streusel
- Mix of the dry ingredients together in a small mixing bowl and be sure to break up the brown sugar chunks.
- Add the vanilla and melted butter.
- Mix until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Combine the dry ingredients (not including the sugar) in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas until smooth. If you don’t
- Add the oil, eggs, vanilla and sugar and mix well until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Fill the liners about ⅔ full then top with cinnamon streusel.
- Bake 17-20 minutes.
- Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Drizzle with glaze.