Whether you’re looking for a show-stopping layer cake, moist cupcakes, an easy snack cake or quick microwavable mug cake, one of these gluten-free birthday treats will wow the star (and guests!) of the birthday celebration. Many of these homemade desserts use an easy-to-find, store-bought gluten-free flour blend, and several are dairy-free too!
1. Fluffy, Light Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Vanilla Cake
2. Super Moist Gluten-Free Red Velvet Cake
3. Gluten-Free Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake
4. Fluffy and Moist Gluten-Free Coconut Layer Cake
5. Gluten-Free Lemon Layer Cake
6. Moist, Fluffy Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
7. Gluten-Free Funfetti Cupcakes
8. Moist and Rich Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
9. Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Vanilla Cupcakes
10. Gluten-Free Apple Pie Cupcakes
11. Gluten-Free Butternut Squash Cake
12. 5 Minute, Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake (Microwave)
13. Fluffy, Moist Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Gluten-Free)
14. Easy, Moist, Fluffy Gluten Free Vanilla Snack Cake
15. Gluten-Free Vanilla Almond Flour Cake
16. Gluten-Free Mini Cupcakes – Chocolate and Vanilla
16 Gluten-Free Birthday Cake & Cupcake Ideas: Carrot Cake
- 4 large eggs, room temperature1
- ½ c oil – avocado, sunflower, canola or other neutral flavored vegetable oil
- ½ c unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, powder or bean paste
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 c sugar
- ¾ c light brown sugar
- 2½ c gluten-free flour blend2 gluten-free rice-free flour option
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 c (about 8 ounces) shredded carrots, store bought shreds work well or use about 3 medium sized carrots
- This cake can easily be mixed by hand with a silicone/rubber spatula and a wire whisk or with an electric mixer.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and parchment line and grease two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. The parchment is optional but will make removing the baked cake much easier.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, oil, apple sauce, vanilla and salt.
- Add the sugars and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold in the dry ingredients with a silicone spatula (or beat on low if using electric).
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Then switch to a whisk to to smooth it out or mix on high with electric mixers for 10-15 seconds.
- Fold in the shredded carrots.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans. Use a spatula to smooth out the top. For super even layers, use a measuring cup and use just over 2½ cups batter per pan.
- Bake 42-47 minutes for 8" and 38-42 minutes for 9" layers, or until the top is set and bounces back from a very gentle tap. If it leaves an indent, keep baking.
- Cool the layers in the pan for 10 minutes. Then invert them onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting with my cream cheese frosting.
- Place cold eggs in a bowl with warm water to bring them to room temperature. It takes 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp xanthan gum only if you are using a flour blend that does not contain xanthan gum, guar gum or inulin. All of the 1-to-1 flour blends like Cup4Cup, King Arthur Measure for Measure, Pamela’s All Purpose Artisan Blend, Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 and Namaste Perfect Gluten-Free Flour already contain one of these ingredients.