This vegetarian gluten-free breakfast sandwich is a satisfying grab and go breakfast. Feta and basil pesto make this a fresh, new take on breakfast. Instructions for making ahead and freezing are included.
More Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
Be sure to check out more of my gluten-free gluten-free breakfast recipes including my gluten-free savory breakfast muffins, gluten-free breakfast sandwich with egg and canadian bacon, breakfast sandwich with cheddar, bacon and jam and higher protein gluten-free granola.
Gluten-Free Baguettes – In y opinion the best gluten-free baguette is from Against the Grain Gourmet. No other gf baguette comes close. They are airy yet chewy, delicious and hold together down to the last bite of the sandwich. They are made with mozzarella cheese so, they are not dairy-free. I have tried Udi’s, which would be my second choice, but it starts to fall apart after a few bites. Schar was my least favorite.
Feta cheese makes this sandwich satisfying and rich. Make it dairy-free with vegan feta. Violife Just Like Feta is vegan and you would swear is made with sheep’s milk. Follow Your Heart also makes a vegan feta.
Pesto – I have included an easy, pesto recipe below which can be made completely dairy-free. For a ready-made one, American Basil Pesto Perfetto is a delicious and dairy-free option (available at Whole Foods Market).
Heirloom tomatoes are my tomato of choice. They are more consistently flavorful than most of the store-bought tomatoes. Use yellow ones for a lower-acid tomato.
Spinach adds a fresh slightly crunchy element to this breakfast sandwich. Feel free to swap it out for your favorite leafy green, like kale, arugula or leaf lettuce.
Make Ahead Sandwiches
This sandwich can be made ahead and frozen for a quick, easy breakfast. The tomato and spinach will not survive freezing and defrosting very well so plan to put those on at the last minute. Here’s how to do it:
- Slice the baguette in half the long way then in thirds. Brush the inside with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Smash feta onto half of the slices and spread on some pesto (about 2 tsps per sandwich).
- Wrap each sandwich tightly in plastic and in foil to prevent freezer burn. Freeze.
- Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat in the toaster oven or oven at 375°F for 7-10 minutes or until the feta is soft.
- Top with sliced tomato and spinach.
Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich with Feta and Pesto
- 2 gluten-free baguettes Against the Grain highly recommended
- 8 oz feta cheese block Violife makes a vegan feta
- 1/2 c basil pesto ready made or see below for recipe
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts or pine nuts
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp (packed) finely grated parmesan or vegan parm, Violife Wedge
- 1 c tightly packed fresh basil leaves, thick stems removed
- ⅓ c extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
Make the Pesto (or use ready-made)
- Add the nuts and garlic to a blender or food processor.
- This mini food processor is my favorite tool for pesto. Run on high until very finely chopped.
- Add the grated parmesan cheese (best if grated with a microplane) and run to combine.
- Add the basil and oil. Run on high until it forms a paste.
- Add 2 pinches of salt and run for a few seconds. Taste. Depending on the saltiness of your cheese, you may need to add more. Add a pinch or 2 at a time.
Make the Sandwich
- See above for make-ahead and freezing instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Cut the baguettes in half long way. Then cut into thirds.
- Brush all the baguette slices with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Bake 4 minutes. Meanwhile slice the tomato into ¼" slices
- Remove the baguettes from the oven and cover half of the slices with feta.
- Bake 3 more minutes or until the feta is soft.
- Spread pesto on top of the feta and top with sliced tomato and spinach leaves.