My husband’s favorite appetizer is pigs in a blanket. Making a gluten-free version of this snack is not an easy task. So these little gluten-free corn dog bites are the compromise. They are the favorite at my backyard barbecues, baseball and football parties and really any party where my husband makes the menu.
You can use any cornbread recipe for these bites, but my gluten-free cornbread recipe is the perfect texture and has the right amount of sweet to go with the hot dogs.
To make this recipe extra easy, you can use a ready-made cornbread mix. These little bites bake in a mini-muffin tin so no messy frying is necessary.
Corn Dog Condiments
You can go with the standard ketchup and mustard or mix it up to make it a little more interesting.
- Spicy Ketchup – Combine 1/2 c ketchup with 1 Tbsp hot sauce. The favorite in my house is Frank’s Red Hot sauce.
- Sweet Mustard – Combine 1/2 c spicy brown mustard or yellow mustard with 1 Tbsp honey, maple syrup or agave.
- Barbecue Sauce – Use your favorite barbecue sauce a perfect sweet and salty dip for these gluten-free corn dog bites.
Corn Dog Bites – Variations
- These bites can also be made with fully cooked sausage. I love them with spicy Italian sausage instead of hot dogs – the spicy-salty-sweet combination is so perfect served with mustard.
- Fill these bites with chorizo and serve topped with pico de gallo.
- Use cooked breakfast sausage in place of the hot dogs and use these as a breakfast or brunch dish.
Gluten-Free Flour Blends
I have used several different gluten-free flour blends with this gluten-free corn dog recipe and they all worked well. My custom blend of sorghum, millet and brown rice flours with some starches is my favorite. See the notes in the recipe for a super simple DIY gluten-free flour blend or my post on gluten-free flours and flour blends.
If you prefer a store bought blend, I like King Arthur Flour All Purpose Gluten-Free flour the best.