I promise you will never go back to store-bought croutons after making your own at home. It’s so easy! This recipe for gluten-free croutons uses only 4 ingredients. Crispy and herby, they’re perfect for soups and salads.
You could easily get some store-bought gluten-free croutons but you would miss out on these. It’s not always easy to find gluten-free croutons and when I do, they are much too salty or flavorless.
Five ingredients are all you need to make these gluten-free croutons – a baguette (bagels or hot dog buns), olive oil and salt. Cut the bread into cubes, toss with with an olive oil mixture and bake at 400ºF for 6-8 minutes.
You’ll have croutons that are worthy of eating like a snack. But if you can resist eating them before other foods are involved – put them on a Kale Strawberry Salad, on Creamy Zucchini Soup, Creamy Asparagus Soup, or my Lentil Quinoa Soup. Be sure to check out my full list of gluten-free soups and gluten-free salads
Bread for Homemade Croutons
I prefer to use baguettes for my croutons so I can make nice big crunchy croutons. Regular sliced bread is not substantial enough. My favorite bread options are Against the Grain Baguettes, Udi’s Baguettes and Udi’s Hot Dog Buns. These all hold up well to the process. Gluten-Free bagels are a good option too.
I love these croutons as is, but here are few of great ways to put a spin on them.
- Use flavor-infused olive oil
- After tossing with the oil, add 1/2 c finely grated parmesan cheese
- Add a couple of pinches of cayenne pepper to the oil for a spicy kick (perfect for chili).
- about 6 oz total gluten-free bread 3 hot dog buns or 1 whole baguette or 2 bagels
- 4 tsps olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 pinches garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs or dried oregano
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F
- Whisk the oil, salt, garlic powder and dried herbs together in a small bowl.
- Cut the bread into 3/4-1" cubes. Large cubes work well for soups.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Give the oil mixture a stir and drizzle half of it directly onto the parchment.
- Add the bread cubes to the pan and toss with your hands. Drizzle the remaining oil mixture over the bread and toss with your hands until they are coated somewhat evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 4 minutes then move the cubes around the pan a little bit and bake 4-5 minutes more or until they are golden brown.
- Let cool on the pan. Then store in an air tight container