This gluten-free dairy-free cornbread is fluffy, light and just sweet enough. I promise, you won’t miss the gluten or dairy in this recipe. The recipe makes an 8″ square pan or 12 standard sized muffins.
More Gluten-Free Quick Breads
Be sure to check out more of my gluten-free quick bread recipes including my moist, fluffy gluten-free lemon blueberry bread, gluten-free sour cream coffee cake and my vegan, gluten-free pumpkin bread recipe.
One Bowl Cornbread Recipe
There is nothing worse than getting your recipe into the oven and turning around to find a huge mess! I am always looking for ways to avoid using that one extra bowl or spoon, This gf, df cornbread can be mixed up in one bowl. My trick is to mix up the liquid ingredients in the measuring cup, which I need no matter what. Note that the “milk” and “sour cream” shown are vegan (see recommendations below). Here’s how it’s done:
Gluten-Free Toaster Corn Muffins
Remember those Thomas’ toaster corn muffins? Maybe not? It’s a corn muffin that goes in the toaster for a perfectly ready-made muffin. All you need is a muffin top pan and a half recipe of this cornbread, About 2-3 Tbsps of batter in each well works best (this fills them almost to the top). Bake 7-8 minutes at 350. They are a little small for a toaster, so I reheat them in the toaster oven and slather with salted butter and honey. Heavenly!!
If you prefer a store bought blend, I highly recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten-Free Flour (gluten-free certified) works very well in this recipe and there’s no need to add xanthan gum or any weird ingredients. I have tested several of the gf one to one replacement flours and King Arthur works the most consistently, is certified gluten-free and is the most affordable one.
My custom DIY flour blend of sorghum, millet and brown rice flours is a great way to use different types of gluten-free flour.
Here is my special flour blend that I love for this recipe and many more of my gluten-free recipes:
- 1 c sweet white sorghum flour
- 3/4 c millet flour
- ¼ c brown rice flour
- 2/3 c potato starch
- 1/3 c tapioca starch
See the notes in the recipe for a super simple DIY gluten-free flour blend or my blog post on gluten-free flour blends.
This gf cornbread gets its perfect fluffy, moist texture with the use of a dairy-free sour cream. Kite Hill Sour Cream Alternative is my favorite one. I have also used Follow your Heart vegan sour cream with good results.
Miyoko’s Vegan Cultured Butter and Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks are the best butter alternatives. I have recently been able to find an unsalted version which is so helpful for baking! If you use a salted version, reduce the salt in the recipe to 1/2 tsp.
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Cornbread
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend*
- ¾ c corn meal
- 6 Tbsps sugar
- 2¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ c milk sub
- ½ c dairy free sour cream or yogurt – Kite Hill Sour Cream Alternative recommended
- 4 Tbsp melted butter substitute Earth Balance Unsalted Vegan Buttery Sticks are best
- Pre heat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8" square baking pan.
- Melt the vegan butter and set it aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs. sour cream and milk in a small bowl. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir 10 strokes. Add the butter and stir until smooth.
- For cornbread, spread the batter in an even layer in the baking dish and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. For corn muffins spoon batter into a muffin tin with paper liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- For toaster corn muffins: Use a muffin top pan with 2-3 Tbsps of batter in each well (this fills them almost to the top). Bake 7-8 minutes at 350. They are a little small for a toaster, so I reheat them in the toaster oven and slather with salted butter and honey.
2 c brown rice flour
2/3 c potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
Foodie Digital says
This is so delish! Thanks Janet!
Janet Harlow says
Thanks so much!
Janet Harlow says
So glad you enjoyed it!