Most of the recipes I have seen for flourless peanut butter cookies, call for white sugar. I personally love the depth of flavor that brown sugar adds. The slightly bitter molasses with salty peanut butter and sweet sugar is an addictive combo!
Be sure to checkout more of my gluten-free cookie recipes including my personal favorite gluten-free chocolate mint cookies, gluten-free, crispy ginger lace cookies, gluten-free butter cookies and everyone’s favorite gluten-free chocolate chip lace cookies.
These flourless peanut butter cookies are:
Light or dark brown sugar both work. I have also made these cookies using coconut palm sugar. The flavor is wonderful. Coconut palm sugar is a little less sweet so you’ll need to add a little extra.
I have used no-stir, natural and regular peanut butter and the recipe still works but is a little different with each. I do not recommend using crunchy peanut butter. The chunks of peanuts will make these cookies too delicate.
With no-stir peanut butters, which have palm oil added, the cookies will be much more delicate. Letting the cookies cool completely on a wire rack will help this.
Be sure you stir natural peanut butters really well before using so that the oil that sits on the top is evenly distributed. I find that a butter knife works best for this chore.
I recommend using only unsweetened peanut butter. Sweetened peanut butter will make these cookies too sweet in my opinion. My favorite result was with Whole Foods 365 brand unsweetened creamy peanut butter.
Baking the Peanut Butter Cookies
These cookies do not turn brown like some cookies. So don’t be tempted to over-bake them or else they will be too dry. Stick pretty closely the to baking time and you should be good.
Top the cookies with chocolate kisses or some chocolate chips and well . . .
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies with Brown Sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- chocolate kisses or chips optional
- 1/4 c white sugar optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Cream the peanut butter and brown sugar together in a small mixing bowl. This means mix them together until it is a uniform mixture. Either by hand or with an electric mixer is okay.
- Beat the egg and add it to the creamed mixture. If doing this by hand, you will have to use some muscle to really get it combined. If the mixture seems to be too runny to be cookie dough, which happens sometimes with no-stir peanut butter, add a little more brown sugar (about a Tbsp).
- Add the baking soda. Again, work those arm muscles!
- Roll the dough into walnut sized balls and place on a cookie sheet. Keep these cookies small. Then roll them in white sugar (optional). This will give them a pretty sparkle when baked.
- You can leave them in this shape or gently flatten them using a fork to make that familiar peanut butter cookie criss-cross pattern. I like to make a little indent on the top and fill it with mini chocolate chips or a chocolate kiss.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Don’t be tempted to over bake them. They should not brown at the edges. As soon as the have puffed up and look set, take them out!
- These peanut butter cookies are very delicate straight out of the oven so cool them on the pan for 10 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.