It is raining berries this time of year and I found myself with 6 lbs. of fresh strawberries. What to do? Jam is a simple way to use lots of berries but then what to do with 5 jars of jam? For me something with cinnamon crumble is always a good option. So these gluten-free strawberry bars were born. The tart berries with the sweet cinnamon is perfect. I made my own jam but you can easily use ready made. Vegan options are included.
Be sure to check out more of my gluten-free dessert bar recipes including the cool refreshing gluten-free lime coconut bars and my raspberry chocolate bars with a buttery shortbread crust. And my strawberry apple crisp with a cinnamon ginger crumb crust is not to be missed!
Top these bars with a pretty drizzle using my Icing Without Powdered Sugar.
Vegan Strawberry Bars
These gluten-free strawberry bars can easily be made vegan with a couple of easy substitutions. Use coconut oil or a dairy-free butter sub in place of the butter. I find that most butter substitutes are salty. So taste yours and omit the salt from the recipe if needed. Replace the egg with egg replacer or a flax egg for the egg. To mix up a flax egg, combine 1 Tbsp flax seed meal with 3 Tbsps warm water and let sit for a few minutes or until it has a gel-like texture.
I have used several different gluten-free flours for baking in this recipe and they all worked well. My custom blend of sorghum, millet and brown rice flours is my favorite. See the notes in the recipe for a super simple DIY gluten-free flour blend or my post on gluten-free flour mixes and blends.
If you prefer a store bought blend, I recommend King Arthur Flour All Purpose Gluten-Free flour or King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour. Omit the xanthan gum in the recipe if your flour mix contains inulin, xanthan gum or guar gum.
Strawberry Bar Variations
- Tropical – Add 1/2 c shredded coconut to the crumble topping and use pineapple jam in place of the strawberry jam.
- Peach-Ginger – Add 1/2 tsp ground ginger to the crumb/crust recipe and use peach jam in place of the strawberry.
- Use just about any fruit jam in place of the strawberry or even mix 2 jams together, Strawberry jam with orange marmalade is a great combination,
Gluten-Free Strawberry Bars
- 1½ c strawberry or raspberry jam
- 2½ c gluten-free oats slow-cook
- 2 c gluten-free flour blend*
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ c brown or coconut sugar
- 12 Tbsps 1½ sticks softened unsalted butter or 3/4 c coconut oil
- 1 large egg egg replacer or 1 tbsp ground flax soaked in 3 Tbsps water
- 2 tsps vanilla
Make the crumble:
- Combine the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter or coconut oil with the sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds and mix until uniform.
- Assemble the bars
- Set aside ⅓ of the mixture for the topping.
- Press the remaining into the bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- Spread the jam in an even layer on top.
- If you you are using nuts, stir them into the 1/3 dough you set aside. Break into small pieces and cover the jam. Gently press down on the crumble.
- Bake 30 -35 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
2/3 c potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch