This easy gluten-free strawberry pie has an quick 3-ingredient graham cracker pie crust and a no-bake filling with fresh strawberries.
Graham Cracker Pie Crust
This super easy crust will take you about 8 minutes to prepare and 7 minutes to bake. The best part is that it doesn’t need to be rolled out. Simply mix the graham cracker crumbs (or cookie crumbs) with butter and sugar and press it into the pan. If you prefer a traditional pie crust, here is my gluten-free pie crust recipe.
Some options for cookies are vanilla wafers, chocolate wafers, animal crackers, graham crackers and ginger snaps or any crunchy cookie.
You can also substitute salty crackers for the cookie crumbs which makes for an AMAZING sweet and salty pie crust. When I was out of cookies and crackers, I used some leftover matzah and it worked really well.
In this gluten-free strawberry pie I used fresh, sweet in-season strawberries so they did’t need any sugar or glaze. If they are not in season and the strawberries need a little extra sweetness, you can toss them with some sugar before putting them on the pie.
Frozen strawberries, when thawed tend to be pretty mushy and soggy. If you’re going to use frozen strawberries, let them thaw at room temperature and top the pie immediately before serving.
This no-bake filling can be whipped up in minutes. The key is, that the cream cheese is at room temp otherwise the filling will be lumpy. Take it out of the fridge before you start the crust. Or, it can go in the microwave (put it on a plate without the foil wrapper) to take the chill off. Just be sure to do it in very short 6-7 second spurts or it will melt!
The ricotta should also be at room temp but heating it in the microwave is less tricky. Also do it in short spurts so it doesn’t get hot.
- Chocolate is a wonderful pairing with strawberries. So top with shaved dark or bittersweet chocolate.
- A drizzle of chocolate syrup or hot fudge would also be an amazing and beautiful topping.
- For a PB&J vibe, heat 1/3 cup natural peanut butter and drizzle over the pie.
- And of course the traditional whipped cream topping would be a great addition as well.
Fast and Easy Gluten-Free Strawberry Pie
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 2 c gluten-free cookie crumbs about 6-7 oz*
- 5 Tbsp melted butter
- 3 Tbsps sugar if using sweet cookies
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1½ c part-skim ricotta cheese room temperature
- ¾ c + 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp orange liquer optional
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsps chocolate shavings
Make the Pie Crust
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°
- I used 3/4 of a bag of Mi-Del Gluten-Free Arrowroot Cookies. You can use any plain vanilla gluten-free cookies. Grind them to fine crumbs in the food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, put them in a zip top bag. Place a towel over the bag and roll over it with a rolling-pin.
- Transfer the crumbs to a bowl, stir in the sugar, then add the melted butter and stir well. It will not come together completely, that’s ok. Pour the mixture into an 8″ pie pan. Start at the middle and press the crumbs down level and then up the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then set it aside to cool. Turn off the oven, baking is done!
Make the Pie Filling
- Rinse the strawberries and cut off the stems. Spread them out on an absorbent towel to air dry.
- Microwave the ricotta cheese for 20-30 seconds if it’s cold. Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and confectioners sugar. Start on low speed to avoid a sugar spray. Once it’s somewhat combined turn up the speed and mix until smooth.
- Add the ricotta cheese, orange liqueur and extract and beat until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. If you are making the pie ahead of time, save this step for no more than an hour before serving.
- Pick out four large strawberries that are the same or close in size. Cut those four into 4 wedges for the outside edge of the pie. Cut the remaining into round slices about ¼″ thick.
- If your strawberries are very sweet, you can skip this step. Place the slices only, not the wedges, into a small bowl, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp granulated sugar and stir.
- Frame the outside edge of the pie with the strawberry wedges. Place the sliced strawberries in the center. Top with shaved dark chocolate.