Cooking potatoes is easy, right? You can boil them, bake them, roast them, mash them, saute them, fry them and they are everyone’s favorite food. I personally eat baked potatoes with only a little bit of salt and I’m happy with just that. But sometimes I like a little something extra, like these easy herb roasted potatoes.
These herb roasted potatoes are seasoned with Italian herbs and brightened with some fresh lemon. But they get their wonderful taste and texture with the right cooking method. To get that beautiful golden brown crispy top, here’s how you do it.
How to Brown Potatoes in the Oven
The key to getting these potatoes all golden brown and crispy is to give them space on the pan. No crowds – you know, a little social distancing. Too many potatoes piled up on top of each other and they start to steam each other. Just like steamed broccoli they will not get brown, even when they are in the oven.
For even cooking, try to keep the slices a uniform thickness. I like about ½ thick. This is just the right size that allows for a golden outside with a creamy inside. If the slices are too thin, they will be dry on the inside.
Toss the sliced potatoes in some olive oil and seasoning and spread them out in a single layer on sheet pans (I line mine with parchment paper). I used 2 standard sized cookie sheets so that the potatoes can lay in a single layer. Baking sheets with their low sides are better than a roasting pan with higher sides because the low sides allows the steam to escape easily so that the potatoes can get brown and a little crispy.
These potatoes go in the oven at 400ºF. Then crank up the broiler for the last 3 or 4 minutes to make sure that they get some gorgeous color.
Herb Roasted Potatoes
- 3 lbs baby potatoes
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsps unsalted melted butter optional
- fresh parsley and thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil, herbs, spices and 2 tsps lemon juice together.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/2" slices.
- Add the potatoes to the seasoned oil and toss to coat evenly.
- Divide the potato slices evenly between the two pans. Spread in a single layer.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until they are cooked. If the tops of the slices are not brown, turn the oven to broil (keep the pans on a middle rack) and cook for 2 -3 minutes keeping a close eye on them.
- Right before serving, place the cooked potatoes in a bowl and toss with 2 tbsps lemon juice and the melted butter. Garnish with chopped parsley and thyme.