Remember the dipped soft-serve ice cream you used to love? Or maybe you still love it. That gorgeous coating of chocolate that magically hardened as soon as it hit the ice cream? It may be magic but it couldn’t be any easier. Just 2, yes 2 ingredients are all you need for this chocolate magic shell.
So what are those 2 magical ingredients? Coconut oil and chocolate. Just melt them together in a pot on the stove top or in a microwave-safe bowl. Let it cool down a little and it’s ready to go.
How to Use Magic Shell
Pour it over ice cream, frozen yogurt or sorbet. Dip your favorite ice or fruit pop (coconut is my personal favorite). These whole fruit pops are my favorite thing to dip in this easy chocolate coating. Freeze bananas, dip and add a spoonful of peanut butter for a fun one-bite snack.
This magic shell can be used on non-frozen items also but it will take longer to harden. For best results put non-frozen items in the fridge or freezer for 15 to 20 minutes first to get them cold.
Which chocolate to use?
I am a bittersweet girl but semi-sweet and milk chocolate work and even white chocolate. Any form of chocolate works for this recipe-bars chunks, or chips. Chips are the easiest because you won’t have to do any chopping and for me that means less dishes to wash! Enjoy Life chocolate chips are my favorite allergy-free chips.
Mix it up with a little flavor in this chocolate magic shell. Add any one of these to the chocolate and coconut oil before heating.
- 1/2 tsp of mint oil or extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- Spice it up a little with 1/4 tsp of cinnamon or a couple of pinches of cayenne pepper.
- My favorite addition is 1/4 tsp espresso powder.
- To white chocolate, add a couple of drops of natural food coloring (Color Kitchen Foods has plant-based colors) and your favorite flavoring for a fun colorful topping.
Magic Shell (Chocolate)
- ½ cup coconut oil virgin is best
- ½ c chocolate chips OR 3.5 oz chocolate
- Place the coconut oil and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Heat for another 30 seconds and continue stirring until the mixture is smooth. If the chocolate is still not completely melted heat for another 10 seconds.
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour over your favorite cold treat.