Super moist pumpkin bread that is gluten-free and vegan? Yes, this is possible and here it is! This recipe is so easy and can be a loaf or muffins.
Be sure to check out more of my gluten-free baked goods including my gluten-free banana bread, gluten-free zucchini, carrot, apple muffins and my moist, fluffy gluten-free lemon blueberry bread.
Gluten-free flour blend – I have used several different gluten-free flour blends for this recipe and they all worked well. My custom blend of sorghum, millet and brown rice flours with potato and tapioca starches is my favorite. It has better flavor than your average rice based blend.
Here is my special flour blend that I love for this recipe and many more of my gluten-free recipes:
- 1 c sweet white sorghum flour
- 3/4 c millet flour
- ¼ c brown rice flour
- 2/3 c potato starch
- 1/3 c tapioca starch
See the notes in the recipe for a super simple DIY gluten-free flour blend or my blog post on gluten-free flour mixes and blends.
If you prefer a store bought blend, I like King Arthur Gluten-Gluten Free Measure for Measure. Omit the xanthan gum in the recipe if your flour blend already contains xanthan gum or guar gum.
Flax seed meal – In place of eggs I have used a “flax egg.” This is simply flax seed meal with warm water. I find that store bought egg replacers do not work well in gluten-free recipes. I also tested ground chia seed and the result was much more dense.
Pumpkin puree – Be sure that you use pumpkin puree as opposed to pumpkin pie filling. They are very different.
Spices – My favorite blend of autumn spices is cinnamon, ginger and clove. A pumpkin spice blend would work or any combination of cinnamon, ginger, clove, nutmeg and allspice. Feel free to make up your own blend, keeping the total amount of spice the same as called for in the recipe. The best source for certified. gluten-free spices is Spicely Organics. You may have seen them at your market in the little green boxes.
Pumpkin Bread, Gluten-Free Vegan
- 3 tsp flax seed meal
- 1 Tbsp warm water
- 1¾ c gluten-free flour blend*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp xanthan gum*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground clove
- OR use 1½ tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of above spices
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree or 1⅔ c fresh pumpkin puree
- 1 c sugar
- ⅓ c oil sunflower, canola, avocado
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Stir the flax seed meal and warm water together in small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Stir the dry ingredients (except sugar) together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar, oil and vanilla extract together until smooth.
- When the flax and water has thickened to a gel-like consistency, stir it into the liquid ingredients.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and stir until smooth.
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes. This will help the rising process significantly.
- Grease an 8.5" loaf pan and pour in the batter. Smooth and level the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then add a foil tent over the loaf and bake an additional 30-35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool at least another 2 hours.
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe