You might not think of quinoa as something that you would eat for breakfast. But, this quinoa breakfast bowl with nutritious protein rich quinoa is so good that I even have it for dessert.
More Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes
By using coconut milk, this breakfast is dairy-free as well as being gluten-free and vegan. I like the creamy texture that canned coconut milk gives but feel free to use your choice of milk.
The quinoa base is flavored with cinnamon and vanilla and sweetened with agave. Substitute your favorite sweetener like maple syrup, brown sugar, coconut palm sugar, stevia or even plain white sugar.
- Add 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder and 2 Tbsp extra coconut milk and top with a dollop of peanut butter.
- Omit the cinnamon and add 2 tsps fresh grated ginger
- Replace 1/2 of the coconut milk with orange juice and top with strawberries or dried cranberries
- Mash 1/2 banana and stir into the quinoa mixture. Top with chocolate chips.
How to Cook Quinoa
If you haven’t cooked quinoa before, here is my post How to Cook Quinoa which includes easy step-by-step instructions and a video. Cooking quinoa is super easy! If you can boil water and set a timer you will have no problem.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 2 c cooked quinoa
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pinches salt
- fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 c fresh berries
- 1 Tbsp toasted slivered almonds
- For a step-by-step recipe and video on How to Cook Quinoa check out this blog post or the link to the YouTube video below.
- Combine the cooked quinoa, coconut milk, vanilla, agave and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. heat for about one minute or until hot.
- Stir in the fresh mint leaves and top with berries and almonds.