This recipe for strawberry buttercream frosting uses just freeze dried strawberries for the perfect flavor and pretty pink color. It is creamy, smooth and free of artificial colors or flavors and no cooking is required. This is my kind of recipe, especially when it’s too hot to turn on the stove.
I had tried make strawberry frosting with a recipe I found on-line which called for fresh strawberries. Even after cooking down, they made the frosting was too runny to pipe on cupcakes. This is a must for me!
These gluten-free chocolate cupcakes, gluten-free vanilla cupcakes or my gluten-free fresh strawberry cupcakes are perfect with this strawberry frosting. See my full list of gluten-free cupcake recipes. Pipe some onto this ganache glazed chocolate sponge cake for a perfect decoration.
Freeze Dried Strawberries
First grind the dried strawberries to a powder up in the blender or food processor. I have even used my smoothie maker to grind them – it it works well too. Then run the powder through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds or your frosting will have a seedy texture. Mix this into the butter with the powdered sugar and voila, pink strawberry frosting.
I usually make my frostings on the firmer side so that they can easily be piped onto a cake or cupcakes. If you prefer your frosting more creamy, add 2 tsps milk or dairy-free milk substitute and mix. Add more, a teaspoon at a time, if needed. This creamier texture of frosting is nice for spreading onto a cake or cupcakes.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 8 ounces 2 sticks soft butter
- 2¼ c powdered sugar
- ¾ c freeze dried strawberries about 1 oz
- 1 tsp vanilla extract powder or gel
- 2-3 tsp milk or dairy-free substitute optional for spreadable frosting
- Place the strawberries in the blender and grind to a fine powder.
- Pour the powder through a very fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds. Use a strainer that has more than one layer of mesh, otherwise the seeds will go through.
- Whip the softened butter with an electric mixer until it is smooth, about 1 minute. Add the powdered sugar,
- Starting on low speed, mix in the sugar.
- Add the strawberry powder and mix in on low speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the salt and vanilla and mix on high for 1 minute.
- If the frosting is too stiff add a couple of teaspoons of milk or milk substitute and combine.
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe