These crispy, golden brown chicken wings bake in the toaster oven for a super simple recipe with just 3 ingredients. Toss them in your favorite sauce or a spicy buffalo sauce.
Be sure to check out more of toaster oven recipes including my 14 minute toaster oven garlic bread and juicy, toaster oven chicken thighs, easy toaster oven chicken drumsticks with a savory spice rub and for dessert, my one bowl toaster oven funfetti cake.
Toaster Oven Cooking
The toaster oven is an excellent way to cook, roast and bake when a full sized oven is not needed. When you’re cooking for one or two people it’s the perfect size. The toaster oven also preheats quickly and uses less gas and electricity. During the summer, I use my toaster oven exclusively to avoid heating up the kitchen.
The great thing about making chicken wings in the toaster oven is that the heat is a little more intense. The food is closer to the heating elements and tends to brown more quickly. Even with the more intense heat, I still love a high temperature for chicken wings. These wings cook at 450°F. If your toaster oven doesn’t go this high, use the highest temp it has and increase the cooking time by 5-10 minutes.
The number of wing pieces you can cook at one time will depend on the size of the pan that fits in your toaster oven. This recipe was tested with the Breville Mini Smart Toaster oven and an 8×10 inch sheet pan. I was able to fit 10 pieces.
It is important that the wings have some space between them while baking. If the wings are too close, they will steam each other and prevent that crispy, golden brown and delicious skin that makes them irresistible.
This recipe is really about the cooking method which creates a crispy, golden brown and delicious skin. So there are just a few ingredients to make these wings irresistible.
Chicken wings – Because space is limited in the toaster oven, it’s best to use chicken wing pieces – either drumettes or the center joint piece. This way they can sit flat on the pan and have a better chance to brown and get crispy.
I recommend trimming any excess fat or skin off the wing pieces before baking. Plenty of fat will render out from the skin and too much fat will make them greasy. I use a pair of scissors to trim so that it is a clean piece.
Salt – I rarely make any dish without salt. Salt has a magical ability to bring out the flavors in anything it goes with and chicken wings are no exception. Simply sprinkle the wings with a little salt before baking. However, if you are going to toss the wings with a very salty sauce like buffalo sauce, you can skip this step.
Chicken Wing Sauces
With the crispy, golden brown skin, these wings are delicious with out any sauce! But here are some options for tossing and dipping sauces.
You could definitely go with the classic buffalo chicken wing sauce. I am a huge fan personally. But it’s fun to mix it up sometimes. Here are a few other options for sauces that you can toss with the baked wings.
Any prepared barbecue sauce is an easy option for these wings. My favorite BBQ sauce is Trader Joe’s Organic Sriracha and Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce. I also have a low acid barbecue sauce (no tomatoes) that would be excellent on these wings
For an Asian spin use a teriyaki sauce or my 3 ingredient, 5 minute stir-fry sauce that is thick enough to hug the wings.
Crispy Toaster Oven Chicken Wings
- 10-121 chicken wing pieces – drumette and/or center joint
- salt – omit if you plan to toss cooked wings with a salty sauce
- ¾ c BBQ sauce, buffalo wing sauce or your favorite sauce for wings
- Preheat the toaster oven to 450°F.2
- Optional – Line your sheet pan with foil and parchment paper. The foil makes for easy clean up and the parchment prevents sticking and helps browning.
- Use scissors or a sharp knife to trim any excess skin and fat from the wings.
- Place the wings on the pan with about ½ inch space between. This space will also help browning.
- Bake the wings for 20 minutes. Then flip them over.
- Bake another 15 minutes or until the wings are golden brown. These wings are delicious with or without a sauce.
- If tossing with a sauce, place the wings in a large bowl and add your favorite wing sauce. See above for recommendations for sauces to toss wings in.
- Serve with my 5 minute chicken wing dipping sauce.
- The number of wing pieces will depend on the size of the pan you can fit in your toaster oven. This recipe was tested with the Breville Smart Mini Toaster oven and an 8×10 inch sheet pan.
- If your toaster oven doesn’t go this high, use the highest temp it has and increase the cooking time by 5-10 minutes.