Gluten-free and dairy-free is a pretty common request from my clients. With only 2 ingredients, this dairy-free, vegan chocolate frosting is about as simple as it gets. It is essentially a whipped ganache. The mixture starts out as a liquid chocolate glaze but once cooled and whipped it thickens and fluffs up to a perfect frosting.
This frosting can be slathered onto a gluten-free coconut cake or gluten-free banana bread. It also has the perfect texture for piping onto gluten-free vanilla cupcakes or my personal favorite gluten-free strawberry cupcakes. It holds its form very well. Here is my full list of frosting recipes if you’re looking for something different.
Vegan Frosting Ingredients
Coconut Milk – Use regular (not light) canned coconut milk for this frosting recipe. The coconut “beverage” milk alternatives don’t have enough fat content and are too watery.
Chocolate – Semi-sweet or bittersweet will both work for this vegan chocolate frosting so use whichever one you prefer. Chocolate chips, bars or chocolate blocks will all work since the amount is by weight. If you are using standard size chocolate chips, it will be approximately 2 1/4 cups. Enjoy Life is my go to for allergy-free chocolate . The flavor and texture of their chips is top notch!
- Add 1 tsp mint oil or extract for an awesome chocolate-mint frosting
- Chocolate-Orange Frosting – Orange is one of my favorite chocolate partners! Add 1 tsp orange oil or extract and top your cake or cupcakes with candied orange peel.
- Spicy Chocolate Frosting – Add 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
How to Whip the Frosting
You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer for this vegan chocolate frosting. I like to use a hand mixer because I can get a better feel of when the frosting starts to stiffen. If you have whipped for more than 2 minutes and it is not stiffening, the mixture is probably not cooled enough. Put the bowl in the refrigerator for 10 or 15 minutes and try again. If you over whip it and it becomes hardened, add 1-2 Tbsps warm coconut milk and whip.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate 2 1/4 c standard size chocolate chips
- 6 Tbsps coconut milk the canned kind
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave on high for 1½ minutes.
- Stir, then heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Set aside to cool at room temperature for a few of hours (I’ve left it as long as 8 hours).
- When completely cool, use an electric mixer on high for about 1½ minutes or until it becomes fluffy. As soon as it stiffens, STOP. If it gets too stiff add 2 tbsps. warm coconut milk and beat until smooth.
- You can pipe it on cupcakes, slather on a cake or eat right from the bowl!