Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich with Feta and Pesto
This gluten-free breakfast sandwich with feta and pesto is a new, fresh take on breakfast. It can easily be made dairy-free. Instructions for freezing are included.
- 2 gluten-free baguettes Against the Grain highly recommended
- 8 oz feta cheese block Violife makes a vegan feta
- 1/2 c basil pesto ready made or see below for recipe
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts or pine nuts
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp (packed) finely grated parmesan or vegan parm, Violife Wedge
- 1 c tightly packed fresh basil leaves, thick stems removed
- ⅓ c extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
Make the Pesto (or use ready-made)
Add the nuts and garlic to a blender or food processor.
This mini food processor is my favorite tool for pesto. Run on high until very finely chopped. Add the grated parmesan cheese (best if grated with a microplane) and run to combine.
Add the basil and oil. Run on high until it forms a paste.
Add 2 pinches of salt and run for a few seconds. Taste. Depending on the saltiness of your cheese, you may need to add more. Add a pinch or 2 at a time.
Make the Sandwich
See above for make-ahead and freezing instructions.
Preheat the oven to 375°F
Cut the baguettes in half long way. Then cut into thirds.
Brush all the baguette slices with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt.
Bake 4 minutes. Meanwhile slice the tomato into ¼" slices
Remove the baguettes from the oven and cover half of the slices with feta.
Bake 3 more minutes or until the feta is soft.
Spread pesto on top of the feta and top with sliced tomato and spinach leaves.